It's A Date! Ball
Spring and fall are times of exploring the great outdoors! And what better way too refuel than with the power of dates! Loaded with fiber these power packed fruits will help keep your digestive track healthy and clean.
These sweet treats are surprisingly low on the glycemic index . Low glycemic index carbs produce a steadier rise in blood sugar, and the fiber in these foods helps you feel more full to keep you satisfied longer. (fact by Robert Glatter)
These treats are so simple!
Prep Time: 35-40 Mins
- 2 small mixing bowls
- small or large food processor (may be easier with a small chopper for the amount of dates used)
- clean dish towel
- measuring cup
- 2-3 small bowls or short tea cups (this is for rolling your balls)
- medium plate
- 1 cup old fashion oats
- 10 medjool dates(soaked and pitted)
- pinch of sea salt ( about 1/8 teaspoon)
- *Optional: 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (immunity boosting & anti inflammatory)
Soaking your dates is very important! This not only makes your date balls soft and moist, but helps makes them more digestible. Plus you can drink or sweeten your beverages with the amazing left over liquid. (Use to sweeten fresh ice tea or lemonade)
- remove the pit and stem from the center of your dates
- place in a bowl and top with warm water. (a little hotter than your normal hot water tap)
- soak for 10-15 mins and than strain the water into a cup
Date Ball Directions:
**IMPORTANT never put you hand near the blender blades or inside the blender, they are ninja swords and are very dangerous, ask an adult for help**
- place your dates, salt and optional cinnamon into a small food processor, blend until smooth. *It is allowed to have some chunks in the paste, thats a preference*
- in your mixing bowl add your dry oats and scrape the paste ontop
- I recommend mixing with your hands.
- once all oats are covered place your dish towel on top and place in the fridge for 10-20 mins.
- time to set-up your rolling station!
- remove the date ball mixture from the fridge and with your tablespoon, scoop and roll 12-13 balls.
- with your favorite superfoods or choice topping roll these yummy balls into a confetti covered treat. (cacao nibs, coconut flakes, chia seeds, crushed almonds, cacao powder, hempseeds)
Field Trip or Lunch Box
We love these yummy treats for all snack time needs. We recommend having your tots roll 2-3 balls per wrap. Store in the fridge and enjoy throughout the day.
Share @greenninjacooks your favorite creation!