Strawberry Fiesta Tops
These heart shaped treats are easily one of the top berries for the pickin. And what better way to celebrate strawberries than with a sweet strawberry salsa and a super power portabella!
Portabella mushrooms are a great source of vitamin B which promotes the conversion of food into energy. This allows our days to be fueled for all our strawberry picking adventures!
Important Ninja Note: According to the 2018 Dirty Dozen (foods that are highly recommended to be organic or better, local) strawberries are on the top of the list.
Prep Time: 20-30 Mins
- kid safe knife
- cutting board
- 1 small bowl
- soup spoon
- tablespoon set
- recommend a veggie stock bag
- 6 large or 8 medium strawberries
- 1 plum tomato (or whichever looks best; vine, mini, etc)
- 1/2 large lime
- 10 cilantro or parsley leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 avocado (about 6 thin slices)
- pinch of salt
- 2 medium portabella tops (pick tops that have a cup shape because they hold more!)
- 2 tablespoons hemp seed or my favorite Hemp Seed 'Non Cheese' (tastes like parmesan)
Remove the portobello stems and, with a slightly moist cloth, wipe the tops of dirt and debris (don't fully submerge in water mushrooms absorb moisture).
Remove just a little of the inside of the mushroom by scraped with a spoon, set aside (add the mushroom scrapings to your veggie stock bag).
- Cut a small amount off the tops of all your strawberries to remove the green hat. Then cut your strawberries in half and into smaller slices (don't mush, CHOP CHOP CHOP.) Toss into the bowl!
Tear your parsley and cilantro leaves into small shreds with your hands (you can chop as well). Toss into the bowl!
Remove the top of your tomato, chop into small cubes or slices. Toss into the bowl!
Cut your lime in half and squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lime onto your red ingredients (everything in the bowl).
Add a pinch of salt and the olive oil to your bowl ingredients and mix with a spoon.
Cut your avocado in half and ask a parent to help you scoop out the seed. With a knife take 1 half of the avocado and cut 6 slices. Or you can scoop out and mash in a small bowl or cup.
Take your 2 mushroom tops and start layering.
Start with your avocado, top with your salsa and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon hemp seed per mushroom or 'Non Cheese'